Saturday, April 30, 2011

Moscow- Day 4

Today is another mostly sunny day with warmer temperatures. I slept really well last night, but Chad was up half the night (he had taken a nap earlier in the day). This morning he woke up with a backache. We ate breakfast in our apartment and then went out for a brief walk to get a few pictures and to try and loosen up his back. We picked up a few meatballs at Sbarro to add to our spaghetti for dinner tonight. We have eaten mostly in our apartment so far with only one trip to Duncan Donuts and two trips to Sbarro for a slice of pizza. Unfortunately I think once we get to Siberia our food options will be very limited as we are staying in a hotel and the amount of restaurants with English menus or English-speaking staff is limited. Maybe I should get online now and look up how to pronounce several food items. I am also trying to get more acquainted with the alphabet to help in reading store signs. There are only seven letters which are the same between Russian and English. The vowel system is a bit different too. We don't have any plans for today with the exception of getting things organized in our luggage in preparation for the flight tomorrow night. We are staying in the apartment of our driver once we return to Moscow. He has been working with adoptive families from agency for many years, and his son has visited the US with families who have stayed with them in Russia. They have agreed to store one of our pieces of luggage for us so that we don't have to pay the extra baggage fees to take three bags for only two people to Siberia. We will be there for several weeks, but for the majority of that time we won't be with the boys so we really don't need that much stuff. We do have quite a bit of donations to drop off at the orphanage as well. It will be nice to be able to get rid of the donations so that we can have room to buy a few souvenirs for the boys in Siberia. We did a little window shopping in Moscow but the prices are pretty high; we are thinking things will be more affordable while in the region. Chad said today he is ready to get to the region as it will take us one step closer to being with our boys. It has been hard for me to have life slow down so much. I keep thinking I should be doing something; and feeling guilty that I am just sitting reading a book for two hours. Then, it hits me that I better enjoy this time because in a few days I will be back to my fast-paced life!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates! I keep wondering what we're going to do while waiting to pick up our daughter, so I guess lots of books it is! Can't wait to hear about seeing the boys again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, relax and enjoy while you can. We are all going crazy here in the usual end of semester frantic run-about. The first year grads seem even more stressed out than we do. I'm doing pretty well getting everything done. My kids have decided that I live at work and want me to quit work so I can all the time. I like that idea, as impractical as it is. Today I'm finishing my project for Amy's class, and tomorrow Chad and I will put the finishing touches on our Speech Sample project for your class. And that's about the size of it. Oh, yeah, the bowl-a-thon is this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete