Sunday, June 5, 2011

Chocolate lovers unite



We made it through my first week back to work of half days. Although I have to still get up earlier than I would like, things went fairly smoothly. Friday night my sister, mom, Sam and I met up with Jess and two of her friends for dinner at Sully’s in Peoria. It hadn’t changed much since my early to mid 20s when it was a semi-regular hangout for me. We were there early enough that we completely missed the “in crowd”. I had wanted to stay and go out with Jess and her friends but this mom of four is snoozing by 10. Either way I would be awakened early by the boys. It ended up that Jess said Peoria was kind of dead that night so I didn’t miss out on much. Chad woke up pretty sick Saturday morning so I did my best to keep the boys occupied until after 10am so he could sleep. When he woke up he had the sexiest voice (his cold lowered his pitch quite a bit… think Sam Eliot) so I asked him to keep talking to me all morning long.
We headed into Galesburg to get groceries and take the boys to Ducky’s for their fittings for the wedding. They looked so handsome in the tuxedo, and were so proud when we told them how handsome they were. Chad took some pictures with his phone and sent them to family. It was really hot that day so after their naps I hooked up the sprinkler for them. While they were napping I finished reading a book I had started on the way back from Russia. It was a pretty good and well written story about a mother whom struggled to get beyond a mistake she had made in her youth but in the end determined that she was in control of her destiny and was not saved by her husband, father, or anyone else. She did it all herself. It was kind of refreshing to read a novel about a woman’s self-discovery.
Saturday night Chad’s parents came over for dinner. Earlier in the afternoon I made some cupcakes for dessert. The boys were VERY interested in watching me cook. They are pretty intrigued by all of the different appliances we have in the house. I am pretty certain they had never seen a washing machine, dishwasher, or stove before. Is it a bad thing that I didn’t offer them the beaters to lick? Yes, I licked them both myself quickly while they were playing with their trucks in the dining room not paying attention to me. While I did this, I thought back to the story I have been told of a similar behavior I displayed as a young child. I was about four I think (I can’t remember the incident but have heard of it many times) and I went to the next door neighbors house to play. The mother came to the door and found me standing there with a King-sized bag of M & Ms. She told me I couldn’t come in to play unless I planned on sharing my candy with everyone. Now, if you are a chocolate lover such as myself, what would you do? Yep, I stuffed the remainder of the bag into my mouth. The next thing that happened (according to the story) was that I began to choke, requiring the mom to do a finger sweep of mouth. I guess I didn’t really learn my lesson as here I was at 37 years of age, standing over the sink, licking the beaters clean since I didn’t want to share with my sons. The really bad part is that I put thought into the situation… I mean, if I let them do it this one time, they are always going to want to lick them. Why start now? I ended up feeling really bad about not sharing. I did feel better when I gave them their first cupcake with frosting and sprinkles. The smiles on their faces and their glistening eyes portrayed sheer joy. It really is the little things. Maybe in the future I will wait until they go to bed so I don’t have to deal with the guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment