Friday, June 10, 2011

Dog days of summer



This week has been wonderful as it is full blown summer. I LOVE summer. We have enjoyed being outdoors every afternoon this week with the kids. A family friend gave us a sprinkler and the kids enjoyed it very much. It was in the shape of a hula hoop and sprayed quite a bit of water in all directions. Initially the boys wanted to run by the sprinkler and eventually Ruslan enjoyed getting his head completely wet. They enjoyed watching the girls run through the center of it. Ruslan let Sam carry him on her back through the middle and then he ran through it several times. Pasha really doesn't like to have his face get wet so he preferred to watch everyone else run through. The water was really cold (from our well) so I didn't really blame him for his reluctance. I posted a few pictures in this blog from their sprinkler experience. Another day we broke out the Slip and Slide we had for the kids. Jessica gave it to Sam for a birthday gift and I never got around to opening it. We have to be careful in using sprinklers and things as our well can get kind of low and we don't want to have to haul water as that gets really expensive. Since we have had so much rain, our water level is pretty good and we can let the kids enjoy the sprinklers on these really hot days. The problem that occurs is that the boys think that this activity is something we can do every afternoon after their nap. The few times this week we couldn't play in the water outside Ruslan whined and cried until I could distract him with another activity.

Samantha began her softball season this week too. We had three games this week and the boys have been pretty well behaved. They really like that they get M & Ms and we like it since it keeps them occupied. Pasha likes to say "boom" when they hit the ball.

We learned this week that the boys do use foul language. Thursday morning during breakfast Pasha told me he did not like the breakfast I had prepared for him and it tasted like poop. The only English word he used was "poop". Samantha kept repeating words the boys said and the boys would laugh hysterically. I asked her on the way to the babysitter's to please stop because she didn't know what she was repeating. Sure enough, my wise friend Sonia had Sam look up online a translation of the words and they were curse words. Sonia caught Pasha saying one of the words later and told him "no". The jig was up buddy. Later in the afternoon at home he tried it here and he got the same response from me. Hopefully that is the end of that business.

We have another busy week of heading to Macomb for therapy in the mornings and then getting haircuts and fittings for the wedding next weekend. I hope the wedding is enjoyable for everyone. I think it will be nice to have some family pictures taken of us all dressed up.

I will post more in the next few days with updates on our routines and such. Things are going much better than we could have ever hoped. The boys are enjoying the special attention they get at their grandparents too. I will leave things with that because I have to rinse out the hair color from my head and then go to bed. My life is so full and every night I lie my head on the pillow I am thankful for taking a chance on going half way around the world to meet two little boys we had only dreamed of ever meeting.

1 comment:

  1. Cheri, I had to smile to remember when my daughter (almost 8 now, 4.5 at the time) called me a naughty name. I asked a Russian friend what it was and she was shocked that she knew the word (Russian equivalent of a word that rhymes with witch). My girl wasn't enjoying the discipline! I'm sure it's bad with the boys as they can play off each other. Amanda had no one to appreciate her naughtiness! =)

    I enjoy stopping in to your blog, checking out pics and seeing how things everything is going. I'm glad you're still posting!

    ReplyDelete