Thursday, January 7, 2010

Yet more information!

We are snowed in today. Not a bad thing, except I need to work on Saturday now, which isn't my favorite thing! I was happy to receive an email today from the agency with newer pictures of the older little guy. He had a cute little smile in one of the pictures. I have had my good friend Sue (who is a pediatric PT) look at the pictures and she has shared with me her expertise on the medical issues the little guy faces. We are confident that most of these may be addressed successfully here in the US. At this time the agency continues to attempt to retrieve more information on his younger brother. We have been handing out flyers for our upcoming Bowling fundraiser on February 7th. Please consider attending our event to share in the fun and help us with our cause! I am hoping to speak and meet with our pediatrician soon with the medical information we have received to get her professional opinion. I understand how it is tough for some people to understand why we would be willing to adopt a child with known medical diagnoses. I think for many people it is a fear of the unknown. Of course, we all dream of our children being healthy and "perfect". I guess I look at it that if Sam were to live in another country and be in an orphanage, she would be considered special needs as well. Her diabetes and ADHD would keep potential families from adopting her. I wouldn't have changed my mind during the pregnancy if I knew she would later receive these diagnoses. It is a complicated issue to say for sure. Thank you for everyone's well wishes and prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Our niece and her husband have adopted two boys from Russia and they are both awesome! Andrew is 5 and Mick and Laura brought him from Russia at age 2. Michael is 4 and was brought from Russia (differnet orphanage also in a remote area) at age 3. Michael had successful surgical repair for cleft lip and palate in Russia. He is receiving speech now and will need a little more cosmetic surgery. Both boys are a delight and this is one happy family! Good luck. Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am obviously very supportive to say the least!!! As for the "special needs", as you know our daughter Sylee was considered SN as well!!! We think she is a bright, happy, well adjusted (and BOSSY) little girl!! If you truly think about it - all children have their own "special needs"!! Good for you guys!!! We will help in ANY way we can!!!!

    ReplyDelete