Monday, May 30, 2011

Home- day 4 and 5


I have had two different family members tell me that others have asked why oh why I haven't kept up blogging daily with updates. I stated before I plan to continue blogging now that we are home as our journey as a family has just begun. I will hold to this statement but have quickly realized that the biological need for sleep sets in once the kids are in bed. Last night I felt like a champion marathon runner as I was able to stay awake until 10pm for the first time in weeks! I still wasn't able to make it through an entire DVR'd episode of Celebrity apprentice (thanks Dad for not disclosing your spoiler alert today... Grandpa was snickering in heaven I am sure). Things continue to move along pretty well here. I no longer require an alarm clock as Ruslan keeps time just fine... 6:30am every morning. Yesterday we headed to Chad's parents in Little York for a belated birthday celebration for his mom. His family was greatly anticipating our arrival as they had allowed us a few days at home alone for bonding. The boys did not seem fazed by all of the people but checked in with Chad and I every once in a while. Papa Mike has several remote controlled tractors which the boys loved. Amanda put out quite a spread of food with Stefanie making a mean turtle cheesecake. Pasha followed Mike around quite a bit and whenever he needed help with his tractor he took it to Mike. Uncle Chad and Aunt Amanda brought their puppy Lily. Initially all of the dogs were kenneled inside so the boys wouldn't get scared. We had been outside all afternoon and they had brought one of their doggie outfits. They wondered if Lily wore a dress the boys would find her less intimidating. Sure enough, Ruslan was ALL OVER Lily when Chad put her on a leash in her dress and took her out into the yard. Ruslan wanted Lily to lick his face. Pasha still wasn't sure about it but was interested that his brother was so comfortable with Lily. The boys seemed to really enjoy being outside all afternoon. Last night we were all pretty tired from the long day (the girls had gone to church in the morning and I had gone down to Macomb to do some grading in my office). After the boys went to bed, Callie asked for a snack. She wanted to have an apple as she had seen the boys eating an apple for their bedtime snack. She saw in the fruit bowl that there was one apple and one orange left. She then said that since Pasha is allergic to oranges maybe she should eat the orange rather than the apple. I was so proud of her that she was thinking of others first rather than herself, but told her that she could have the apple as we could go to the store and buy more for Pasha.
Today we had a Memorial Day lunch at my parent's at Lake Warren. This morning the kids played outside on our swingset for a little while and I went through some clothes a family friend had given us. I was so excited that the family had thought enough to give us their son's outgrown clothes. They were in really good shape and just the right sizes for the boys. The boys enjoyed playing in the sandbox and dangling their feet in the water off of the dock. Grandma Argyle got to meet them for the first time. Pasha really enjoys playing with Jessica's fiancee Matt. I am hoping that this will be an added incentive for Pasha to walk down the aisle in a couple of weeks in their wedding!
Reality has begun to set in. The reality of things is that I am the mother of four children. Four mouths to feed, bathe, and clothe. I had a moment tonight when I had to leave the room behind me with a chorus of "mamas". Yes, all FOUR kids were saying my name in that tone of voice which means they need something. One dropped their fork, one wanted a napkin, one didn't like the food, and the fourth needed a towel in the bathroom. I know you may be thinking... hey lady, you signed up for this, you completed a ream of paper of copies and another ream of paper of forms and paid tens of thousands of dollars to increase your family through the wonderful option of adoption. Yes indeed I did all of those things (with the support of my wonderful dear husband and family). That doesn't mean there are times I need a break. Even though it is only day five. So here's the payoff. As I was putting the boys to bed, I hit my head on their bunk bed (I really hate bunk beds for this reason). I sat down hard on the floor and held my head cause it really hurt and I had my mouth clamped shut to avoid the spillage of profanity. Pasha jumped out of bed and Ruslan quickly followed and they both kissed me and hugged me and spoke soothingly in Russian. A half hour later during Callie's bedtime I hit my head on her bunk bed TOO (thankfully this time it was the back of my head). She spoke soothingly to me in English (in a strangely familiar way) and kissed me and hugged me. As a type now I can still feel the ache from both places on my head; but the overriding feeling of my heart feeling full makes it easy to push the pain from my head. I know there will be many tough days (and nights)ahead; but there will also be many wonderful ones too. Oh, and Ruslan is now chasing our little dog around the house (thank you Uncle Chad and Lily).
Tomorrow we head to the international adoption physician for our post-adoption evaluation. She will do a thorough examination of both boys, look at the medical records we received (so scanty in information it is almost humourous) and recommend a plan of treatment for immunization and overall developmental intervention. Happy Memorial Day to everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Cheri - what a great post! Here's hugs and hopes that the wonderful times far outweigh the not so wonderful times! :) I would say I understand....but I don't really! The wrinkle of two at the same time & not the same language has got to add such a huge amount of challenges! Hang in there & enjoy!

    ReplyDelete