Sunday, May 8, 2011

Kemerovo- day 11

Today is Saturday here, which was apparent by the number of people at the market today. We bought items for our dinner tonight and tomorrow night as we have kitchen privileges at our hotel. We were able to walk around and go to the market and back without getting rained on. A few of my observations are thus: everyone has a plan and does not try to walk around others. So, at the market it is a free for all in getting a basket and walking through the store to find what you want. They do not tend to get into traditional “lines” so if you think you are standing waiting your turn you run the risk of someone stepping in front of you and not thinking twice about it. We walked through the sporting goods store today; the clothing was very similar to what we would find at a Hibbitt’s sports store but with more variety. The prices are pretty similar to ours.
We went into a beauty supply store as I am running out of shampoo and conditioner. We found what I was looking for but Chad had hoped to find some nail clippers (he clips his almost daily and didn’t think he could pack them for the flight : ) After buying our groceries (about forty dollars worth) I saw another beauty supply store and found his nail clippers. The cashier was not pleased that I gave her $100 rubles for my purchase of $65. That is kind of a big deal here; they really don’t like making change. We have been able to use our debit/credit cards here quite a few places which has surprised us a bit.
Earlier in the week we exchanged some cash for rubles with our coordinator Anna. It was kind of a weird experience because we simply pulled onto the street corner, Anna hopped out, and came back with some guy who had a wad of cash. We gave him our USD, he gave us the rubles with an exchange rate of one USD to 27.4 rubles (not too bad of a rate). It felt almost as if we were doing a drug deal or something.
We have hit the jackpot with the TV today; two Indiana Jones movies will be playing this evening, and it happens to be my favorites of the series, the first and third. Chad and I have been discussing the year the first one came out. I think I vaguely remember seeing it in the movie theatre but of course he rubs it in that he was TOO YOUNG to have seen it in the theatre. Geesh, two years difference makes me ancient. We got some beer today and Chad sat outside in the little park next to our hotel to drink a beer. This is pretty commonplace here; today I saw two middle-aged women walking from the market each enjoying a pint. We also see kids not much older than Sam’s age smoking. Apparently the DARE program isn’t big here.
I have just about finished the second book that I bought in Moscow. Luckily I received some exams to grade today via email and also received copies of my text book so I can prepare for class in the fall. I am unable to download anything to my Ipad since it reads my location as being out of the country. I wonder if I can download a book to my laptop. I saw a bookstore at the mall today; maybe I can head back there and see if there is an English book section like in Moscow. Nine more days until we pick up the boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment