Monday, May 9, 2011

Kemerovo- day 13


Today was Monday, May 9th; this is Victory Day here in Russia as it is the day they celebrate stopping the Germans outside of Moscow in World War II. They celebrate their veterans with parades in each city in remembrance of all those who served and those that fell in the battle against Germany. It is somewhat fitting that I learned today of my own Grandpa’s death. He too was a World War II veteran. I knew when we left that this was a possibility but it is very hard knowing that my family is dealing with the plans for the funeral and such and not being there with them to grieve. I feel so removed from the situation when I should be surrounded by family. Chad’s grandfather passed away several years ago unexpectedly. I think my grandpa was waiting for the Lord to call him, and wished he had been called quite a while ago. The reality of not ever seeing Grandpa again came setting in today as I saw so many Russian veterans being celebrated by their countrymen and women. I am so glad that my Dad traveled with Grandpa on the Honor Flight this year. I am sure it was a highlight of my Grandpa’s life.
It is hard knowing that our boys will never know our grandfathers for the strong and driven men they were. We can only hope that we can teach them in ways that our grandfathers taught us, as both Chad and my Grandpas were very active in our lives growing up. It is interesting how both Chad and I had grandparents that lived just a block away, and that we spent so much time with our grandparents. We are so fortunate to have known them and to be able to feel their presence in our daily lives. Every time I sneeze I think of my Grandpa with his loud sneezes; I sneeze loud like that too… all the way from my toes.
It was in the lower 30s here today with occasional snow. We bundled up and walked about a bit. The other couple took us to a neat restaurant/bar they had found and we ate lunch together. Chad had a pizza with several different kinds of meat and pickles on it and I had a grilled chicken breast. The waitress was very nice and after waiting on us asked why we were in Kemerovo. This seems to be the question that all young people have for us as they are amazed we would want to travel to Siberia. We told her what we always do which is that we are tourists. It is just safer that way.
Last night I made pasta with cheese and marinara sauce. We had picked up a ground beef-looking kind of meat at the market too. Chad enjoyed the pasta but I thought the sauce was too tart so did not care for it. He ate leftovers for breakfast and will finish it off this evening I am sure.
Tomorrow we leave at 7am for the orphanage to visit with the boys. Chad really hopes we can take them outdoors to play so that we aren’t stuck in a room with them trying to entertain them. I plan on bringing some of the toys, books, and bubbles I brought along to hopefully engage them in some nice play exchanges. We made sure to buy some juice too so that when they get thirsty we can give them what they need. Tomorrow we should find out when we will be able to pick up the boys for sure as Dr. Ludmilla (the person in charge) will be back from her vacation.
I am definitely ready for warmer temperatures; I think I may have to wait until we return to Moscow to experience a warm up. Nine more days until we leave for Moscow!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you really are there for a long time. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. Amanda is in New York with the kids dealing with some serious health issues of her mother's. Tomorrow I start my finals. I always feel anxious and confused before a battery of tests. The visiting speakers were very interesting. I wish you were here to elicit a group discussion, it would have been interesting.

    It must be difficult for you to enjoy the present, with the expectation of being with the boys. You're on a once on a once in a lifetime journey; I hope you're enjoying every second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked with your mom tonight. Trying to hold back the tears. But then she started to tell me about all of the pictures she was going through. She found pictures of us at your grandma and grandpas before going to a school dance. I have some many memories of grandpa Russ. God took him home and he is at peace. Praying for peace and comfort for you! P.S. great picture!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete